Cowboy beans with green peppers are super yummy and work great as a main dish or a side. Sometimes we make them and have them for dinner with corn bread or toast. Sometimes we make them and take them to picnic pot lucks to share. This recipe is HUGE but can be cut in half. It serves 12 which makes it great for leftovers.
- 52 Ounces Baked Beans (We like Bush's)
- 1 pound browned sausage
- 1 pound browned ground beef
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups chopped green peppers
- 1 cup mild salsa
- Mix it all together and cook over low heat until green peppers are cooked through. It usually takes about an hour.
- It is excellent served cold or hot.
Mix it all together and cook it over low heat for about an hour until the green peppers are thoroughly cooked.
The greatest thing about this dish is that is tastes great both hot and cold. If you want hearts in the middle of your toast, use a cookie cutter to cut it out BEFORE you put the bread in the toaster.
You can even serve it sloppy Joe style on a bun or bread! We even like to dip chips in it. For real!