Ryp’s birthday cake request was for a German chocolate cake. We decided on cupcakes so we could have some with and some without coconut. It’s a kid thing I think… Anyway, in the process, we got creative with the cake batter and created a World Market candy bar cake in a jar. Yes, we have a stash of World Market candy bars on hand. Being an ambassador for my favorite stores means we are there bunches and I rarely leave without more candy bars. I love them for adding to gifts and of course…for eating. I have to admit, this cake came out fabulous, pretty and yummy!
This is how you can make it too.
- Chocolate Cake Batter
- World Market Chocolate Candy Bar
- Frosting (Chocolate Buttercream is our fave)
- Fill the jar 1/3 of the way with batter.
- Add a pinch of coconut and a large piece of the candy bar.
- Fill another 1/3 with batter and bake at 375 degrees until toothpick comes out clean. (approx 20 minutes but depends on size of jar)
- Let it cook completely then frost and top with chocolate shavings. (Use a vegetable peeler to carve shaving from the candy bar)
It looked good enough to eat before the second half of the batter was even added.
The kids LOVED making the chocolate shavings with a vegetable peeler.
I think these would work great to make ahead of time and refrigerator with lids for a few days before frosting and serving. They could be heated up too and served with ice cream!
The chocolate buttercream frosting is to die for. I make it then put it in my decorator thingie to get it to look pretty. Every time I try to “frost” a cake, I ruin it so this works great. I should probably share that recipe one day soon!
Cheers and Happy Baking Up Sweet Surprises,