This past weekend’s camping trip with our Girl Scout Troop to Sky High Ranch was so much fun. We learned so much about the outdoors and camping, including how to build a campfire – log cabin style. The awesome staff used candy to teach the concepts and the girls loved it so much. I took lots of pictures and am excited to share it with you.
You will need all of these fun candies and sweets.
One by one, you add them and share with your kiddos the steps to building a fire.
- The Graham Cracker is the fire circle area.
- A large marshmallow represents the water bucket.
- A lollipop represents the critter stick (so little creatures don’t drown in the water).
- Coconut represents tinder.
- Pretzels represent kindling.
- Tootsie rolls represent the logs.
- Candy corn and red hots represents the flames and fire.
Isn’t is awesome!
After the candy fires, we built our first real troop fire and it was a total success. We used it to make banana s’mores and keep warm. Of course they ran around in the woods all sugared up for a while first.
To reinforce the concepts, I created a word search that you can download FREE and share. Be sure to talk about SAFETY!
This worked out great because the girls wanted to save their custom Lollipics so they ate these lollipops. Double win! Here is a fun pic of their Lollipics from Instagram.
Cheers and Happy All Things Camping,