Today it happened! I GOT A PINK SCHWINN. Ryp and I were in Target and there it was, hanging from a high rack looking at me. It was. It was staring me down and I almost heard it saying, “I am your bike. Get me down.” I told Ryp that bike should be mine and he said, “Great, let’s buy it!” He did. He bought me a bright pink Schwinn!!! The first thing I did when I got home was replace the yellow basket bag with one that I whipped up from my favorite fabric stash! Here it is along with how to sew a travel bag to fit a bike basket. To be totally transparent, I am self-taught on the sewing machine.
Okay, so here is how I did it. These directions will be ABOUT as clear as I was when I was actually making it. I made it up as I went and this is my REAL step by step. Laugh if you want but please, don’t judge. Gather your fabrics and the dies from Sizzix that you want to use to make it awesome. I used my flower die that I designed along with the die that has little flags.
- Cut out your shapes using the Sizzix machine. There is a special one for fabric but I used the Big Shot.
- Measure your basket. Cut out two pieces of fabric to fit each side AND the bottom, leaving an extra half inch for sewing space.
- Sew the 4 pieces that will make the inside into a row. Do the same for the outside.
- Stitch on your Sizzix die-cuts then sew the inside and outside front to front all the way around.
- Flip the pieces to get it rightside out (or in – not sure what this is called).
- Sew the bottom two pieces together front to front leaving enough space at the end to be able to flip it rightside out too.
- Carefully sew the bottom to the sides then sew the final side up.
- Add handles with ribbon and any other embellishments.
Ta Da! These two fabrics are my FAVES from JoAnn Fabrics. I have been saving them and I couldn’t be happier that they ended up like this.
The outside fabric with the big dots is from an old tablecloth! YAY for recycling.
It looks even better on the bike. I was totally surprised to discover that it is REVERSIBLE too.
And how awesome is this…the basket opens up!
Sewing is super fun. You can experiment and test things out. You never know what might happen. You might end up with a darling bike basket bag.
And now on to my next big decisions, what should I carry around in the basket???
Cheers to Adventure on my NEW Pink Bike,
This post may contain affiliate links.