I learned this recipe from a friend. Linda Beard is not just any friend. She was my first real, post college, adult friend. It sounds silly but it’s true. During my first year teaching elementary school in 1991, she was the teacher in the classroom next door and we did TONS of wonderful things together. She is an amazing cook and made these one time when I ate at her home with her family (which I did often).
I am excited to be sharing this as part of a great challenge.
They are amazing! You can make them with any kind of tomato. Over the years we have tried different things and different amounts of the ingredients but this is our fave. We call them friendship tomatoes. I never realized until today that my kiddos did not know where they got their name.
- 1/2 C Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 C Melted Butter
- 1 C Crushed Gluten Free Crackers
- Salt and Pepper if Desired
- Cut your tomatoes in half and scoop out the guts.
- Mix the other three ingredients together and fill the tomatoes.
- Place tomatoes in tinfoil. I like to put the tinfoil on a grilling basket.
- Grill until the tomatoes are cooked and the crackers start to brown.
- Serve hot.
They go great with everything. We usually make them when we are grilling out steaks or chicken. Once we served them over steamed spinach and that was pretty awesome.
I could eat any of these four ingredients alone. Well, maybe not the butter…
Mix them up and it is better than pie crust!
Scoop out the tomatoes.
Check out all of these awesome recipes with tomatoes.