Last week my friend has surgery so I wanted to make a dish to take to her and her family. It seems like everyone makes dinner and because it was on Friday with a weekend ahead, I opted for a breakfast dish. This friend of mine eats a gluten free diet (LIKE ME) so I decided to test out a french toast casserole. This gluten free French toast casserole was ah-mazingly easy and super yummy too. I made one for us too and the girls love it. It is awesome alone or with added topping like fresh fruit, syrup and whipping cream.
Okay, let’s just get right to the recipe.
- 12 Pieces Gluten Free Bread
- 1 C Brown Sugar
- 10 Eggs
- 1 1/2 C Milk (or Almond Milk)
- 1 Stick Butter (1/2 C)
- 1 TBSP Cinnamon
- Melt the butter in the bottom of a glass baking dish (9 x 13)
- Cut bread into fourths and line the bottom of the dish with half of the bread.
- Sprinkle brown sugar (3/4) on top of 1st layer of bread.
- Add second layer of bread, using it all.
- Beat eggs and milk together then pour over second layer of bread.
- Sprinkle the rest of the brown sugar and cinnamon on top.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake at 350 degrees for an hour or until cooked in the middle.
- Serve with fresh fruit, syrup and/or whipping cream.
If you want to make it dairy free too, you can substitute the butter for a dairy free fat option. You can use any gluten free bread for the layers including buns, waffles or pancakes.
Cheers to Yummy Treats for Friends and Family,