We love to have people over in the summer to cookout and hang out and play. With Ryp, Jordan, Zoe and ME all having summer birthdays (in addition to Father’s Day and our family blending anniversary), we are always out in the backyard celebrating something. This summertime party decor for backyard celebrations is easy peasy to make and also to put up, take down and store. While you could create any theme with the steps in this post, we love the bright and cheery icons of summertime that can be used over and over again. This post is sponsored by Fairfield World but the ideas and opinions are our own.
Let’s start with a simple garland. This is made with just two supplies, Oly*Fun by Fairfield World (in assorted colors) and ribbon. Cut the Oly*Fun into strips that measure 14 inches by 2 inches. Oly*Fun is sold by the yard (60 inches wide) so you can make a lot of strips with each cut. Tie the strips onto a piece of ribbon that measures the length you would like your garland to be. My thought is the longer, the better! This is a great project to enroll your kids into supporting. They can not only cut the strips but also tie them to the ribbon.
If you want to add ribbon to the garland, cut the strips to a 12 inch length and add them to the garland by tying them on in between the Oly*Fun strips. If you add decorative ribbons, you can get a fun look or coordinate with a theme. I am simply a huge fan of black with white polka dots so this works for me as it will match my summertime straws, plates and napkins.
Ta Da! Isn’t it so so so cute. It is so lightweight that it easily ties and stays put on tree branches.
To make pillows, use the Oly*Fun just like fabric. The sunshine is one of my favorites.
You will need the following materials.
- Oly*Fun – Yellow, Orange, Pink and Black
- Sewing Machine
- Pillow Form (I used this one!)
- Cut two pieces of Oly*Fun in both yellow and orange to measure one inch more on each side than your pillow form.
- Cut out and sew on eyes and a smile.
- Cut out strips of orange and yellow (1 1/2 inch by about 6 inches) and place them all on the face of your sun towards the center. Sew the ones across the bottom before sewing pillow together.
- Put your two orange squares on your yellow face squares and sew around the top three sides. Flip it out and put your form inside.
- Sew the bottom shut either on your machine or by hand, tucking the already sewn strips inside as you go.
You can use your extra pieces to create placemats and tie plastic silverware together.
Oly*Fun is great because it cuts like paper but sews like fabric. It is great for outdoor decorations but not meant to be left in the outdoors as it will not survive the weather.
Cheers to Celebrations and Summertime,